We have news for you!
A new nation-wide initiative on the purchase of single-use beverage containers is coming into effect to help reduce our collective footprint on the environment, and we want all our clients to be prepared.
With the new Beverage Container Refund Scheme (BCRS), whenever you buy a single-use beverage container (like a plastic water bottle or a soft-drink can) you will be charged an additional deposit of €0.10 on top of the product cost. But this will refunded to you in full when you return the empty container to us, the next time you visit Welbee’s.
All you have to do is return your used containers once you are done with them, so you can get your €0.10 deposit back. It’s that simple!
Here’s a quick recap of the steps you will need to follow from now on:
- Shop at Welbee’s and buy your favourite products as usual.
- Pay at the check-out and remember that you will be charged an extra €0.10 on every single-use beverage container that you buy.
- Once you have finished using your beverage containers, deposit these into the Reverse Vending Machine (RVM) at the outlet where you purchased them. Don’t forget to collect the deposit receipt voucher from the RVM! This will have a barcode and the refund amount printed on it.
- Redeem the receipt voucher at cash point on your next purchase by presenting it to the cashier, who will then scan the barcode and deduct the refund amount from the total amount of your bill.
Single-use beverage containers are made of these materials:
- Plastic (Polyethylene terephthalate – PET)
- Metal (steel and aluminium)
- Glass (clear and non-clear)
These are the beverages that form part of the scheme:
- Water and flavoured water
- Non-carbonated soft drinks
- Carbonated soft drinks
- Ciders, beers and other malt beverages
- Ready-to-drink coffee
- Flavoured alcoholic beverages with an alcoholic content level not exceeding 5%
Why is this happening?
The BCRS scheme was launched as part of a wider national effort to increase recycling and reduce litter. It is a reminder that we are all responsible for our single-use beverage container waste, so introducing a refundable deposit on our purchases will give us all further incentive to dispose of it correctly. This is how a circular economy system works to help protect the environment.
Thanks to this initiative, all returned containers will be collected centrally at the new beverage container recycling plant at the BCRS Malta’s Clearing Centre in Hal Far.
At Welbee’s, we know that the change is going to happen, whether we like it or not. So, we are committed to making it as easy as possible for our clients to adapt, while still enjoying the products they love and having a reduced impact on the environment.
We think that sounds fair and the new scheme couldn’t be simpler. Let’s all do our part for the sake of our collective environment!
Shop Welbee’s, protect the planet!
If you have further questions please see below